Tuesday 22 December 2009

Mehme: warred village, resettled

[Thanks to Dave S's comment on the Evretou photo blog, I will try to give each site photo blog a proper introduction; until then, I'll cross-post the introductory posts from Cultural Heritage in Conflict (or samarkeolog).]

In my fieldwork notes, I jotted down that
Hasbeg, Mahama, Mahma, Meheme or Mehme... was evacuated and destroyed in 1993 (or 1994?) and subsequently rebuilt. Walking up the slope someone asked, 'you're looking for old things, isn't it?' I corrected them, 'no, just destroyed things'. I felt bad.
I've completed the personal page for Mehme: cultural heritage and community, comprising photos, descriptions and, like the other similar sites, a few comments on interpretation of material in the resettled, warred village.

[This was originally posted on samarkeolog on 13th June 2007.]

No comments:

Post a Comment